Hold Pedal (on/off) (64) does not seem to be working properly when playing MIDI file

dberning

Hold Pedal (on/off) (64) does not seem to be working properly when playing MIDI file

Post by dberning »

Screenshot 2023-09-13 172247.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-13 172247.jpg (75.19 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
I just switched to the new version of VSTSynthFont64 (3.450) and now the Hold Pedal (on/off) (64) does not seem to be working the same. The attached image shows some chords being played which are to be sustained (Hold Pedal (on/off) (64) value 127) but they aren't in this new version. The same MIDI file plays properly in the prior version of VSTSynthFont64 and also on SynthFont2x64.

The new features of VSTSynthFont would be very useful in the music I'm developing, but I'm working with some generated MIDI files that use the Hold Pedal extensively to sustain chords and I don't see a practical way to move onto 3.450.

I'm running VSTSynthFont on Reaper and it has worked fine until this latest release. Any idea what might be the cause of the change?

Thanks,
David Berning
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hold Pedal (on/off) (64) does not seem to be working properly when playing MIDI file

Post by Admin »

Thanks David. I will investigate. Is this the only problem you have had with 3.450?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hold Pedal (on/off) (64) does not seem to be working properly when playing MIDI file

Post by Admin »

Just looked at the code. Compared to 3.442 there is no difference in relation to handling of CC#64. So I run a simple test in Reaper. My conclusion is that pedal hold works in 3.450 exactly as in 3.442. Maybe you should send me a Reaper project for testing? Send to kenneth at synthfont dot com.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There is a new feature in 3.450 that MAY have an impact on this: Handling of overlapping notes. You can turn it off in Setup, Synth page.
dberning

Post by dberning »

Screenshot 2023-09-16 103033.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-16 103033.jpg (19.83 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
I think I have narrowed down the problem. I'm using a different soundfont file than what is supplied with VSTSynthFont.
The soundfont file I'm using seems to work with the prior release of VSTSynthFont but not 3.450.
When I use the GMGSx.sf2 soundfont file you supply, the Hold Pedal seems to working properly.
Screenshot 2 2023-09-16 103620.jpg
Screenshot 2 2023-09-16 103620.jpg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
I couldn't seem to attach a MIDI file to this post for you to test, but the problem occurs with a keyboard MIDI file where chords are sustained. There are no overlapping notes.

I did encounter another small problem (which may or may not be related to this one) with the new release:
When I attempt to add sf files i get this error:
Error on click of Add Folder button.jpg
Error on click of Add Folder button.jpg (58.06 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
I have not tested if this Hold Pedal problem exists with the newest SynthFont2. Hopefully this gives you some help. If you need more info or a Reaper project, let me know.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The Pedal Hold function is basically totally independent on the SoundFont - except for one thing: If the sample/instrument you want to hold is short and lacks looping points, then the note will play only as long as the sample permits. The plugin doesn't try to "invent" any sound data in order to keep the note playing. Typically percussion instruments are short, but also piano sounds can be short if looping is not enabled.

Next time you see this error message, be sure to press the Send error report button!
dberning

Post by dberning »

Thanks for the info, Kenneth.

I'm not an expert on SoundFonts or MIDI, but I do understand what you're saying about looping etc. For the samples/instruments I'm using, the Timbres of Heaven sf2 has looping turned on and Hold/Pedal On (127) seems to sustain a keyboard chord indefinitely until Hold Pedal is set off or another chord is played.

I might well be missing something obvious here. I'll send you the MIDI file I'm testing and/or the sf2 file (or a Reaper project) if that helps. I'm sure VSTSynthFont is pretty complex and it might take a little effort to figure out what going on. I appreciate your efforts, the new VSTSynthFont will help me a lot.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Send me the midi file, please. I have a few versions of Timbres of Heaven so I probably do not need the one you have.