Band In A Box User - upgrading VSTSynthFont64 app

ChrisHeinen

Band In A Box User - upgrading VSTSynthFont64 app

Post by ChrisHeinen »

I am a registered user of Band In A Box, and with that app there was a free copy of VSTSynthFont64 that I installed on my PC. The install says it is version 3.112.

I see on the synthfont.com website that there is a newer version of VSTSynthFont64 (3.442).

Question - does my existing license cover installing this newer version? Or, is there an expectation that I would need to pay to upgrade?

Question - is there anything special to know about running the installer for this newer version (e.g. can I install it "over" the current version, etc.)?

Thanks,
Chris
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Band In A Box User - upgrading VSTSynthFont64 app

Post by Admin »

All new versions of VSTSynthFont (32/64) are covered by the Band-in-a-Box license. I have asked the BIAB people to try and include the latest version as often as possible, but it looks like it is hard to do. But, as I said, nothing prevents you from downloading and installing the latest. There are no special precautions you need to take when installing the new version, except from the good practice to a) make a copy of the old DLL for safety and b) install the new DLL in the same place. Alternatively you can install the new in any other folder you like, but then you need to tell BIAB about it.
jazznutz

Post by jazznutz »

This is exactly what happened to me and Band in a Box. Biab tells me every time, there's a new version
I finally found the VSTSynthfont 3.501 but it crashes band in a box every time.
I had to go back to 3.112.
Last edited by jazznutz on Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Okay, thanks for telling me. I have to debug
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I have tested version 3.501 in BiaB Version 2023 (64 bit) and it seems to work!
jazznutz

Post by jazznutz »

I should have mentioned I'm using biab 2020.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I do not have 2020 installed, but I would not expect it to be of major importance. There has been MANY versions since 3.112. Have you had success with any of them? Like, 3.200, 3.300, 3.400, 3.442, 3.450 etc? I can provide you with some old versions for testing if you like. 32 bit or 64 bit?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Found 2020 on an older PC and tested the new plugin. No problems.
You could try to rename the config file VSTSynthFont.ini in C:\Users\<YOU>\AppData\Roaming\SynthFont to something else to cause a fresh startup.
jazznutz

Post by jazznutz »

Wow, thanks for doing all that. Tell me something to rename the ini file to because I'm a little inept at understanding windows file system?

Wait, oh oh. I can't find the app data folder or roaming folder: C:\Users\<YOU>\AppData\Roaming\SynthFont
It's not there! and I've seen that thread many times. Could that be part of my problem? In fact my c drive now has a yellow triangle warning symbol. Crap! I'm just discovering this as I type.

Ok the yellow triangle appears to have been a Dell update thing.
The app data folder was just hidden so now I can see roaming/Synthfont :mrgreen: Now which ini file to change and to what? :?:

To you other replies. 3.5 is the first version that crashed. The last version that worked was 3.112. Then I jumped right from that to 3.5 so I don't know about the others. In general the things that make biab crash is always when I'm messing with audio settings. It seems pretty unstable in that regard.
jazznutz

Post by jazznutz »

Update, ok now somehow biab has upgraded vstSynthfont to 3.430 and it is working.
I could sure use a lesson though on how to save default sythfonts and not have to change every track each time but that's different question.
Should I continue to try to upgrade to 3.5?