Add Samples In Folder

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
newfont

Add Samples In Folder

Post by newfont »

hi, thanks for Viena. excellent as sf2 auditioner, and have noticed i can now auto-generate a soundfont from a folder of files! don't recall seeing that in earlier versions. this is an excellent time-saver for wrapping up a bunch of sounds into a 'sample program'. feel quite lazy about making soundfonts/sample programs, and the keymapping/velocity-mapping process. am experimenting with converting soundfonts to sampler formats. presets get converted to 'presets' within a 'bank' in *.esi format for emu - and in software samplers that load sf2.

it would be nice to have an options dialogue to define the kind of soundfont to be generated more.
currently (testing with mono, for simplicity's sake) it maps 1 sample per midi note, adjusted for root pitch, starting from 0.

there could be an option to define starting note - why not end note too (and if number of samples exceeds available range? some other options)

i was looking for a way to auto-generate an instrument (and preset) for each sound, mapped to full range. (AWave can do this)
and then thinking of the quickest way to do it with Viena. so far i'm doing each one individually, which is ok for 7 or 8 sounds, but 100 is a bit of a task, if you just want to check a folder of sounds out quickly and audition them as samples.

or maybe presets, lke 1octave per sample, 4 notes, 5 notes, etc.
user defined presets? (text scripts?)
something 'auto' with velocity layers?

tbh i'm still looking through the finer points of the program to see if i've missed things. not sure what Sondero is yet..
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Add Samples In Folder

Post by Admin »

Right now it looks like your best option would be to learn to use the so called "Definitions" file concept. A Definitions file is basically a text file describing the SoundFont, in comma separated format (extension .csv), which can be edited with any text editor, but much better in a spreadsheet editor.

Read more about it here: http://www.synthfont.com/The_Definitions_File.pdf

NOTE: In current Viena there is a rather silly bug: avoid to use names for samples, instruments or presets that can be converted by the spreadsheet editor into a simple number. For example "000" will be converted to "0" in a spreadsheet. This bug will be fixed an the next version.
newfont

Post by newfont »

thanks, i found csv, generated it and opened it in OpenOffice; will read that pdf.

meanwhile, i tried 'New Instrument Splits':

'New Instrument' (to avoid mixing new splits up with old ones, in the initial instrument generated by Add Folder) named eg: 'NEW SPLITS'

Create new Splits - leaving assign to range unchecked: inputting nothing seems to give full 0-127 range for kybd and velocity.
this gives a split for each Sample covering full keyboard range.
i can audition each split individually across the whole range. but auditioning the Instrument plays all samples together.
(no preset is yet created)

so far so good: if there was an option to generate an Instrument per Sample, and separately, a Preset per sample - or per instrument -, it's a big time saver.

had a look at Sondero - seems similar to the Add Samples in Folder. is that where it comes from?

or should i be thinking of dragging these splits into a new soundfont? i'm not sure how the multi-sf2 display thing works, or the file saving for it, so have to experiment with that.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The tool "Soundero" was made according to one user's specifications and needs. Ir was supposed to be a very simple tool to create a new basic SoundFont on which it would be easy to build. Yes, it is much created according the functionality offered in Add Samples, with a few more options.

The Definitions file concept is much more capable, but at the same time has a somewhat steeper learning curve. The potential simplicity in this tool comes from the fact that the tables in the file (when open in a spreadsheet program) is similar to the tables in Viena.