Any upper limit in override with VSTi ?

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
Trygve Larsen

Any upper limit in override with VSTi ?

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Hi Kenneth!
I'm about to start a new project, converting Midi to Wav.. This time 16 channels midi.. When I had selected up to 11 of this instrument, Synthfont 2 stopped open up the window to select the VSTi from. Is this a bug, or a limit in how many such overrides we can have?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any upper limit in override with VSTi ?

Post by Admin »

Sounds like a bug... Can you tell me more?
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Ok-- I was loading 11 VSTi override, then when I tried to load number 12, that box still coming up to chose the VSTi.. BUT how many times I clicked on Kontakt, NOTHING happened...

Then, after I posted this post, I continue to try... Then THIS happen.. When I went to Files/folder and selected a folder with 14 midifiles, it started converting them, but the result was without the piano ! So I went back to the plug and play window and tried playing the song from there.. And THERE I could SEE the volume indicator move, but NO SOUND.. Tired to change back to soundfont, but STILL no sound.. The other channels gave sounds...

One thing I observed was this.. I tried to install the 32bit version, and to my surprise it seemed it read the same init file as for the 64bit init files, since all the VST overrides was there ! But when I installed the 64bit version, I selected ONLY 64 bit VSTi ! How can THAT happen? No warning that it could not load the VSTi... But of course it did not give any sound... So I chose to RESET and loaded the 32bit VST i ONLY... THEN it gave sound.. BUT, only the FIRST get sound on all channels.. The rest got various sounds.. Could it be that the midifiles in this particular folder had the instrument assigned to different channels..?

So then I tried to load the 64bit version again.. ANd the same happen here. The 32 bit VSTi I had selected for the 32bit version, was now loaded in to the 64bit version ! And it gave sound !! BUT same as the 32bit.. It seems like the override cannot handle different channels, like soundfont can?
So that the different instrument HAVE TO be on the right channels in order for the VSTi override to work`?
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Kenneth, I start worry for u.. R u ok? Or u just have a vacation? It's being 2 weeks now, and that's not like u... Hope everything is ok..

If any of u other guys in this forum know something, please let me know...
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I'm ok. Mostly been away on vacation and after that 100 other things to do.

One rule of thumb - it is never a good idea to mix a 64 bit plugin with a 32 bit host, and vice versa. It is the last resort, and one to avoid as much as possible. Reason: a 32 bit host cannot directly load a 64 bit DLL (and v.v.). A lot of trickery need to go into it make it work (somewhat).

I've put a lot of time recently into building support for VST3 into SynthFont2. I'm not sure it is worth it. The VST3 specs is close to a disaster. But I'll continue to try.

Let me return to your initial question:
I was loading 11 VSTi override, then when I tried to load number 12, that box still coming up to chose the VSTi.. BUT how many times I clicked on Kontakt, NOTHING happened...
I'm not sure I get it. WHERE do you load VSTi overrides?
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Ah, good to hear... Have been busy my self last few weeks after a shortcut virus caused a big data crash, that destroyed a 2TB external hard drive with all my most important work.. So I am still working with restoring it with the Disk Drive software....

Anyway, I use a 64 bit system on my computer...

I am loading VSTI override from the file menu... After many trials and errors, a message box came up telling me that it seemed that I run out of RAM, or something.. I have 32 GB ram, so perhaps that is just to little to load more then 11 instances of Kontakt? OR, do I load them in a wrong way? Will it help to upgrade to 64 GB RAM? I still have 2 slott available for that so I could be willing to invest in that, if that would help...

But there is another problem with loading Kontakt.. Every time I start synthfont, it loads Kontakt with default instrument.. So it seems like there is no memory in synthfont that remember the setting for each instrument i override with Kontakt...

Another problem I encounter again and again, is that the mainwindow for override stays on top, so that the next pop up windows remains UNDER that window...Could it be an idea to have a minimize button on that main override window?

Also; After my crash experience, I change my virus protection software from Malwarebyte, that DID NOT protected me fro this f***ens Shortcut Virus, to BitDefender.. So when I logged in here now, a WARNING come up that this site was not safe... I took a screenshot but don't know how to insert it here... But basically it just said; This site was blocked for ur protection. An attempt to send ur password unencrypted in plain text was prevented and bla bla bla... Take me back to safety, or understand the risk and take me there anyway.. So when I did, another message came up saying; The webpage u r trying to access contains dangerous URLS and will be skipped from scans during this session. Are u sure u want to continue? So I did...;) Might just be an overprotection?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Sounds like a memory management problem. Kontakt is tricky. The settings ought to be saved in the arrangement file. At least that is the intention.

BitDefender is definitely overreacting. I have Malwarebytes installed and I have to disable it for my own project files as it flags them as dangerous!
InanimateCrbnRod

Post by InanimateCrbnRod »

I'm having the same problem. Somewhere between 9-11 instances of VST is the maximum before the feature stops working. I'm using ReFx nexus. I'd like to have 16 instances of it. I had to copy and pste multiple .dll of the vst because if I tried to load two copies of the same vst Synthfont gives me an error. by duplicating the vst I'm able to go from 1 instance to around 9 but after that an error pops up and the 10th or so duplicate gets removed from my vst list in synthfont. I don't know if its a bug or not but I have plenty of computer resources left. my cpu utilization is only around 9 percent or so max. Any ideas?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

This is quite strange! There is no obvious reason for this. There is no inbuilt limit. I have not yet myself been able to reproduce it, but I must admit I have not had much time do try it either. I will continue to investigate.