VSTSynthFont prevents all other sounds if running!

mkilpatr

VSTSynthFont prevents all other sounds if running!

Post by mkilpatr »

I just this minute got VSTSynthFont64 in order to experiment with Dorico, the music notation software. I wanted to use my old homemade Soundfont SF2 for use with it, (as I have always done with Sibelius).

I got it working but only discovered later that no other devices will make sounds if the VSTAudioengine is running! Ouch. Windows Media reports an error if I try to play a WAV file from my hard drive - and Sibelius reports "Audio Engine Error: Bad Settings" if I try to boot it up with Dorico (and thus the VST) already running.

If I try to boot up Dorico while Win Media is in the middle of playing music, the media players tops and reports "An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the item again." and then stop playing.

How do I solve this please? What do I need to change in various sytem settings to allow things to coexist on the computer (Win 7, Realtek onboard sound, no additional sound card installed).

thanks,

Michael
Admin
Site Admin

Re: VSTSynthFont prevents all other sounds if running!

Post by Admin »

Hi Michael,
I'd like to help you, but I don't think I can. This your problem of yours has nothing to do with VSTSynthFont64. The plugin gets midi data from the host, converts it into audio data and sends it back to the host. It is up to the host to decide what to do with the audio data - record it into a track, a file or send to some output. So, the problem is related to a) your host (Dorico) and b) Windows' audio driver (onboard Realtek is not very flexible, neither is Windows 7...). Obviously Dorico grabs the audio output ports and locks them at startup and keeps them tight while the (internal) VST engine is running. This is quite normal behavior for most hosts. You may need to ask the vendor of Dorico for more help.
Kenneth
mkilpatr

Post by mkilpatr »

This seems to be about a setting in Dorico giving exclusive access to the sound system, which appears to be set by default (strangely). Fixed. However, there's a problem with the VSTSynthFont window leaving things lying around. Will post separately...
mkilpatr

Post by mkilpatr »

It seems there's an option in Dorico for it not to take exclusive control of the sound system, so problem solved.