Viena bugs report

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
sammy

Viena bugs report

Post by sammy »

Hi!
First I want to say "BIG THANK YOU" to Kenneth for developing Viena!

There are some bugs and annoyances that slow my workflow:

1. Right clicking the cells should bring a context menu, instead of jumping direct to sample
- accidental right clicks interupt the work.

2. Double-clicking on a cell hides the previous value, so I cannot copy/paste values, or just edit part of a value.
For example to extend the key range I have to write the whole thing (48-60) instead of just edit the coresponding end.

3. In the "Arrange Instrument Splits" the right click on a key does not change the root key.
(As I remember this used to work before.)

This is for now.
Greatings and respect to Kenneth for his work!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Viena bugs report

Post by Admin »

After a year or two of getting fed up with Viena I finally decided I need to move it over to the the latest development environment and finalize it. I am now working more with Viena than with any other of my tools. So please keep them bug reports and suggestions coming!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Version 0.976 is out now.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Just updated it. I still call it 0.976, though. Go here and get the new version:
http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html
or
http://www.synthfont.com/VienaSetup.exe
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Oh no! :cry:
Had to update again!
This time I changed the version number to 0.977.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

0.977 is still not allowing me to Reassign, as I reported for the earlier version on 11th October.

John Reimer
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi John,
I haven't been able to reproduce this problem, so maybe you should give me some more info. I need to repeat you actions accurately.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

I do all my soundfont construction on a Windows 7 laptop. I make extensive use of the Reassign function and regard it as one of the great assets of Viena. It has saved me many hours of work, as it allows me to use an existing Instrument as a template for a new one. The new Instrument needs a set of completely different samples, and Reassign allows me to get this done conveniently. I also have a Windows 8.1 laptop set up at my home Virtual Pipe Organ console.

After reading your post, I tested various Viena versions on both these computers. The results were quite inconsistent regarding the Reassign function.

It finally occurred to me that the problem may lie in my soundfonts. So I created a NEW (small) soundfont using the new Viena 0.978 on both machines, and Reassign now worked perfectly, as far as my limited testing went.

All my soundfonts have been created using Viena, but because of the history involved, of which I give some indication above, recent soundfonts could well be regarded as being "over-processed", thus introducing various unpredictable problems.

So the Reassign problems should be regarded not as bugs in the latest version, but rather as something which I have unwittingly introduced, and about which I shall have to exercise more care in the future.

I remain a great fan of Viena, and am very grateful to you for making it available.

John Reimer
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Thanks John,
This may help somewhat.

I am currently making some rather large changes to Viena's internal representation of a SoundFont simply because I finally want to make the integration between Viena and SoundFont2 perfect. The current solution is poor and actually rather "dangerous" and error prone. In the future Viena will work from within SynthFont2 seamlessly. This requires that the representation of a SoundFont is the same in both programs. Hence the need for changes - in both programs, actually.
Danansmith

Post by Danansmith »

Kinda late....but thank you!
Fashion bubble football : bubble soccer ball