File Access Violation in Viena64

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
bnoland

File Access Violation in Viena64

Post by bnoland »

Hi,

I recently had to retire my very old PC running windows XP and using Cakewalk as my DAW. It had a Soundblaster, and I used Soundfonts extensively. I've been able to get the Synthfont VST working nicely in Cakewalk by Bandlab, but I'm having some trouble with Viena.

When I first downloaded the program, Viena wouldn't let me open any of my Soundfont banks. It gave me this error:

Access violation at address 0000000000E890DF in module 'Viena64.exe'. Read of address 0000000000000098

I was trying to access the files from the cloud, so I decided to copy them to the desktop to see if that was the issue. I was pleased when I was able to get a file to open. I was then able to import another bank, add presets/samples, and save the file. So far so good.

The next time I opened Viena and tried to open the bank I'd saved (onto the desktop), it gave me the same error as above again. I tried to open another bank, and it gave me the same error. I tried to import a file and it gave me the same error. I then went through a number of steps, moving the Soundfont banks to different locations, uninstalling and reinstalling Viena, and intermittently, I was able to open the files, but invariably it would eventually start giving me the Access Violation message again.

I searched the forum, and someone had this issue in 2016, but I don't see a solution. Can anyone give me any sense what is going wrong and how I should go about resolving this issue? Many thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: File Access Violation in Viena64

Post by Admin »

I'm glad you have found Viena and decided to give it a try. I am also glad that you didn't just stop at the first problem but continued to try and find a solution. I am sorry though... that I cannot offer a quick solution. The address for the access violation doesn't seem to fit within anything reasonable.

However, I have a new version in the pipeline and if you contact me at kenneth at synthfont.com I can send it to you for testing.

Kenneth - author of Viena
bnoland

Post by bnoland »

I sent you an email. Thanks!
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

I also get this same error message when using the latest version of Viena. I just ignore it and all seems to work normally.

John Reimer