Using the Definitions file concept.

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
newfont

Re: Using the Definitions file concept.

Post by newfont »

:) heh just made instruments and presets in Notepad :D

worked very nicely.
however on import, it doubled up the existing instrument and samples.
so it's 'Append' rather than 'Overwrite'. my bad. (would a Replace option be a good idea?)

ok so you Add Folder, and do whatever i did to have them all full k/b range splits in a single instrument eg: 'ALL'

and then export definition file.
open the *.csv in Notepad,
and copy the instrument header, under the main
"Instruments,Name,Generators" category
eg:
,myInst_ALL
,,Sample name,Global,

and paste/create: - as many instruments as you need.

,myInst_1
,,Sample name,Global,mySample1
,myInst_2
,,Sample name,Global,mySample2
,myInst_3
,,Sample name,Global,mySample3 ... etc.
etc.

and then do the same thing with the Presets, where you increment the preset number 0,0 ; 0,1 ; 0,3 ; etc.
and it looks like:

Presets,Name,Generators,Bank,Preset
,myPreset_ALL,,0,0
,,Instrument name,Global,myInst_ALL
,myPreset1,,0,1
,,Instrument name,Global,myInst_1
,myPreset2,,0,2
,,Instrument name,Global,myInst_2
,myPreset3,,0,3
,,Instrument name,Global,myInst_3
newfont

Post by newfont »

i have had an error trying to 'append' - it should have sent an error report -
i tried only sending what i wanted to add on, excluding the previous instruments and banks, and all the samples - because those had 'doubled' as well on the last operation, and i had to 'purge' them and deleting the 'double' 'ALL' instrument that was created.
nb: it did clean up ok.
so i thought i should try to just sent the rest this time but was no go. (edit: because i didn't include the header !)

still quite a bit of 'paperwork' ! i think i'll make a single numbered template, 0-127 instruments and presets.
then just paste in generic project names.
..(thinks) .. makes it quite easy to knock up a soundfont, with some decent definition files. don't really need to use the interface so much.

must experiment to see what a 4way stereo velocity split looks like :)
Last edited by newfont on Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newfont

Post by newfont »

ok: did the full file this time and it ran fine. still created doubles for existing instruments, and for all the samples. this time i did Purge and it only removed 3 of 32 :-/

so now i don't know which ones i need or not..
save file.. getting there..
now going to delete doubles and see what complaints are emitted..

(i'm going to associate *.csv with Notepad ! )

btw: what if definitions were inserted at the same point as 'Add Folder'? (well, they are, sort of, same menu)
newfont

Post by newfont »

aaaand that was fixed easily too. decided to delete the 'ALL' preset, because it was the one referencing the first set of samples, manually removed them before seeing the 'delete duplicates' button in the main page !

great progress :-)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I kind of agree, when you get the hang of it, it is a lot easier to use a text editor like Notepad. For example, to create new copies of an instrument, you simple copy and paste lines. Very straightforward.
newfont

Post by newfont »

and now.. ;)
i want to know what else i can define in csv/text !
i've only exported definitions of simple soundfonts so far. so i haven't seen velocity splits or other parameters in csv form.
(lol i discovered Miss Excel today, great interview on how she's making serious money selling excel course on tiktok)
newfont

Post by newfont »

found another use for saving definitions :)
as it exports a folder of copies of the samples, with names formatted 0000- upwards, this is something i can use in file renaming !
then select all new files, 'rename here' with Bulk Renamer, and add a prefix, remove a zero or two.
(eg: MPC500 likes short 10-character names)
it's very useful to be able to generate a folder of copies in numerical order. (quite easier to reorder in a list?)
- - -
just realised it's actually very easy to make new full range instruments and presets:
select a sample you want to hear full kbd range, and do New Instrument, which offers to create a new split from selected samples; select None, then select the one you want (updating the name of instrument), and OK. then do the same process with New Preset, done, save.
(i was talking about generating them all automatically; maybe not so bad to be selective and just do the ones you want.)

** little suggestion for the key range entry box: **
would be good if, if you only enter 1 value and return, it autofills: so if you want something at note 48 only, you enter '48', and it autofills as '48-48'. ...
newfont

Post by newfont »

o-kaaay so when i export a *.csv definition file, and it creates the folder of samples, do these have the loops 'baked in' now? if i understand, loop points in wavs are in the header, and are 'universal' ? (not sure how that works but have had a glimpse of)

that's very useful, just got a couple of perfect loops to work quite easily with L/R clicks (hoping they translate if i load the same files in another sample format). realtime update is good: the trouble with Audacity is that looped 'labels' (regions) don't update automatically, you have to shift+space to restart.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The samples do not need to contain the loop points as these are exported in the column "Loop S-E" in the definitions file. See heading:
"Samples,Name,Loop S-E,Root key,Correction,File name,Folder"