Using the Definitions file concept.

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
Admin
Site Admin

Using the Definitions file concept.

Post by Admin »

This is basically as scripting feature designed to help you create new SoundFont and edit existing ones. Read more about it here:
http://www.synthfont.com/The_Definitions_File.pdf
Sly

Re: Using the Definitions file concept.

Post by Sly »

I think this is exactly what I need, using many many sample in my project, I should be able to set every new instrument quickly grace to this feature.

I may have found a small bug though :
I use stereo samples. When importing the samples in Viena, the pan of left and right sample are OK : +50 and -50.
When exporting the definition file, in excel it shows -50 for the first sample, 0 for the 2nd, +50 for the third, 0 for the 4th, etc....
Then, Re-improting the definition file in Viena, the pan is now -50, 0, 0, 0, +50, 0, 0, 0, -50, etc...

After another cycle of exporting/ importing : the pan is now : -50, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, +50, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, -50 and so on....

really sound like a bug
Last edited by Sly on Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Thanks! I have been occupied with other projects lately and will be so next week, but after that I will have a look at Viena, so keep posting your findings and comments and wishes.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I have tried to reproduce the bug. I created a new SoundFont with a handful of stereo samples. Exported to a definitions file - looks good: i get "50.0, -50.0, 50.0, -50.0 ..." and so on.
Thinking...
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

I am trying to use the Definitions File to edit an existing soundfont. I have had no trouble creating the File and editing it. But when I open the soundfont and import the Definitions File I have made, it seems to make no difference to the soundfont. What am I failing to do?

Best wishes,
John Reimer
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

I have managed to generate an error message which I believe has pointed me in the right direction. Further thought makes me expect that in my next post I shall be able to report full success.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

I spoke too soon. But I believe I have sent an error report. Please let me know if you did not receive it.

John
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

I still have no solution to this issue. Any chance of looking at it? I am pressing on with creating what is likely to be my last soundfont (I am 83 years of age). Being able to use the Definitions file would be a great help.

Best wishes,
John
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi John,
Sorry for not being of much help. Lately Viena has been of much less importance than anything else. I had a quick look into the issue, and the "ImportDefinitionsFile" function, but the exception report was not very helpful (not your fault!). I was thinking that the best option would be if you could send me one troublesome def file.

EDIT: I have a suggestion: make sure that the definitions file contains a row in the beginning that starts with the "Samples" keyword. It should look like this:
Samples,Name,Loop S-E,Root key,Correction,File name,Folder
newfont

Post by newfont »

ok i've opened the csv file in OpenOffice Calc, and it has 2 columns,

first one starts with 'Samples,Name,Loop'
lists them, then Instruments, then Presets.

other side is empty for the sample section, then with names, ranges.

then opened it in Notepad.
that actually looks easier and quicker to get around, copy/paste etc.