Error code=17

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
Emosewaj

Error code=17

Post by Emosewaj »

Trying to export a DLS soundfont to SF2, namely Windows' default gm.dls for use in other programs, but saving it as SF2 throws

Code: Select all

File was not written. Error code=17
What should I do?

The soundfont in question can be found in C:\Windows\system32\drivers if you're on a Windows computer.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Error code=17

Post by Admin »

I hope you are not trying to write the SoundFont into the folder C:\Windows\system32\drivers?
Emosewaj

Post by Emosewaj »

Nope, neither reading nor writing to it. I've copied the file out of the Windows directory into another program's soundfont library, I'm reading and tryint to write to that location (C:\Users\Me\Documents\SomeProgram\Soundfonts)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

You are using the latest version, I assume.
Error code 17 is a general "write file error". It arises when Viena tries to rename the temporary file written using the desired file name. The causes can be: folder is write protected, file is write protected (for example, open and locked in another application). Or, the folder or file name is bad - containing illegal characters. Normally, if the file is write protected, Viena tries to change the temp file to a new name including an index, e.g. gm(1).sf2 if gm.sg2 is protected. If this does not succeed then we have error code 17.

I tested the functionality just a second ago and it works for me, so...
Emosewaj

Post by Emosewaj »

Odd, I've tried in another location (D:\test\), same result, whether ran as admin or not. The version I'm using is 1.132 64-bit. Should I perhaps try the 32 bit version, or anything else I should try?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

This is indeed very odd! I suggest you hold on for a special debug version. I am curious to learn what this is all about.
I'll be back.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Here is a test version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7v95ow4c249y ... A.rar?dl=0
The archive contains only the new executable, called Viena64-1133A.exe.

You also need this program to display debug messages:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvv6svztcfsps ... 2.exe?dl=0
Start DBWIN32 and then the new Viena64 version.
Do what you have to do.
Finally, send me the text in DBWIN32.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Emosewaj

Post by Emosewaj »

Here's the output. out.txt contains only the output relevant to the Viena process, out_full.txt contains the full output, but also contains messages from other programs.
Attachments
DBWIN32 out.zip
out.txt contains only the output relevant to the Viena process, out_full.txt contains the full output, but also contains messages from other programs.
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 893 times
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Thanks! I see...
Will be back with a new test version soon.