2 stage release

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
PKMuse

2 stage release

Post by PKMuse »

Hi all:

I'm relatively new to using soundfonts and would like to have an instrument that has a multi stage release on the Volume envelope.

A simple example would be to have a release that totals 3 seconds long. The first half second would have a shallow slope and the remaining 2.5 seconds would be steep.

I suspect that this might be doable in some way but my understanding isn't up to figuring out how.

Anybody?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2 stage release

Post by Admin »

It MIGHT be doable in two ways 1) having two layers (or instrument splits) for each sample. One with the sound for normal playback, with the first value for the release up to a certain point and them abrupt silence. The second split needs to be silent up to the moment when the second release should set in. So when the second turns on, the first one becomes silent. Hence you would need to create two audio samples from one. This might work - or not. 2) A second approach based on the use of modulators. Not sure about this one...
PKMuse

Post by PKMuse »

Thanks for the input. On the first suggestion. Any guidance as to how to trigger the second stage to come in immediately upon completion of the first?

In the interim I've conceived of a possibility and that would be to have several low volume layers with varying releases that sum to the desired release.
Sample 1 20dB down longest release, sample 2 20dB down slightly shorter release and on progressively like that. As the summed release develops the slope becomes steeper.
but that begs the question. Is this all fast enough to keep those layers in absolute sync. to avoid weird phasing.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

As I yesterday finished and released a major update of SynthFont2, version 2.2.2.0, I am now ready to undertake work related to Viena. There is a lot to do! During this process (next week will be short during to Easter holidays) I will certainly think about potential alternatives. I think there are a few. But I will need to be back later.