Using the Sonatina Symphonic soundfont

Feel free to post here any thoughts, ideas, complaints, you-name-it not pertinent to any other forum listed below.
Bernard Kemp

Using the Sonatina Symphonic soundfont

Post by Bernard Kemp »

I want to use Synthfont2 to produce a .wav from a midi file I've created of a piece for strings. I have downloaded all the files listed for this soundfont and now have a subdirectory called "Samples" full of all sorts of .ogg files, and at the top level there are a number of .sfz files for such things as "1st violin pizzicato" and "viola sustain". How do I use these so that each of my instruments gets its appropriate setting?

I should have all the right .dlls and so on as I'm a registered user with the latest version.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using the Sonatina Symphonic soundfont

Post by Admin »

You simply have to select the appropriate SFZ file for each and every track. Like in this simple example (Bach, Air on G string):
Bernard Kemp

Post by Bernard Kemp »

Well, no, my SynthFont2 changes all the tracks when I do that, or it takes me to a "Presets" dialogue which I can't get out of and offers me the only choice being the preset for the sound font I've just chose. It won't let me out until I've changed every track.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Do you have many tracks using the same MIDI channel? They all must have the same SoundFont/SFZ. Just closing the Presets dialog should work? (There is a "Close" button in the middle, above the list of Presets).
Bernard Kemp

Post by Bernard Kemp »

Oh - all my tracks are on the same channel. I'm not sure how I can fix that. I'm generating the MIDI from Mozart so I'll look to see if it has an option to do the separate channels. Perhaps I can do it through SynthFont?

When I close the window it just goes on to the next track, which I expect, from what you say, is OK functionality since they're all on the same channel.

So, thanks, I'll investigate.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Naturally it is possible to change the midi channel in SynthFont2, but it would be better if you could find a way of doing it in Mozart.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

But apart from that, as there is a place for an improvement in SynthFont2. You should not need to select the preset again. It should be enough with the first time, really. I'll fix it.
Bernard Kemp

Post by Bernard Kemp »

Yes, that will be an improvement.

It was easy to get Mozart to assign channels to the instruments, so that enabled me to use the Sonatina fonts. However, as my piece is for a solo violin accompanied by a string quartet, the Sonatina font was seriously deficient in not having a solo viola. I tried using a violin instead but, of course, it didn't have the right colour and I do like and use the viola's coloration a bit.

In the end, however, I preferred what I call the "Fluid Mono" soundfont anyway. Using the separate channels improved its sound and seemed to fix a problem where it had changed two quavers into a sort of dotted pattern in the playback. It is a bit shrill but I satisfied myself with the result I got using the equalizer to knock down the highest frequencies.

So, "sandshoes hairy crotch".