New BIG project...

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
Trygve Larsen

New BIG project...

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Hi Kenneth... Been a while since I was here. Now a really BIG project coming up, so I started using Synthfont2 to convert around 500 midis. No probs at all, as usual... SF2 is rally a timesaver for me. But this new project is all about 8000 midi Karaoke files. So when I run the first folder with around 500 karaoke files, I was thinking: How great It would be IF SF2 could batch convert midi karaoke files to Mp4 ! I remember seeing Mp4 as an output option, so I tried first to on the Show lyrics... But that was a huge disappointment. No scrolling or highlighting of the Lyrics. The lyric came up, but just as a still text. Anyway I wanted to give it a try, and run a folder with only 8 songs. When it was done, I went to that folder and to my surprise, it was converted to M4A, NOT Mp4. I guess that is just a typo in the program then? :roll:

So, how difficult would it be for you to include Mp4 as an option, with proper scrolling of the lyric? Preferable with an option to insert an image as background?

All the best,
Trygve Larsen
Admin
Site Admin

Re: New BIG project...

Post by Admin »

Hi Trygve,
SynthFont2 does not save lyrics in any other format than MP3, not in M4A. MP4, also known as MPEG4 is mainly a video format that is used to store video and audio data. It can store video, audio, images and subtitles. But, as said, SynthFont2 does not create MP4 files but M4A. M4A is an audio file format that is very similar to MP4. The basic differences between M4A and MP4 is that M4A does not contain videos or subtitles like MP4. So, in effect, when looking at the audio part only MP4 and M4A is the same. However, I think it must be possible to store Karaoke lyrics in M4A files also, but I do not know how.

Creating MP4 is still a lot further away. I would say that I currently do not have the time and capacity for it. Too many other projects at hand.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Side comment: there will soon be a new version of SynthFont2 out with much improved Karaoke display: you can have a background image, full window display, selectable font and font size. But no video in the background.
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Wow! That's good news Kenneth! Any timeline for it?

Just to clarify: You said "SynthFont2 does not save lyrics in any other format than MP3" So, supposedly it should have saved the lyric to the mp3 in the first 500 karaoke files I run then? But it did not. Even when I tried to play those mp3 in VLC with minilyric open, there was no lyric there... So is there anything I overlooked for that to happen?

All the best,
Trygve Larsen
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Another question:
Admin wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:28 am Side comment: there will soon be a new version of SynthFont2 out with much improved Karaoke display: you can have a background image, full window display, selectable font and font size. But no video in the background.
What format will it be possible to save in, in batch mode?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Even when I tried to play those mp3 in VLC with minilyric open, there was no lyric there
VLC does not understand the way lyrics is encoded in an MP3 file. This program DOES: https://www.karaoke5.com/
It is not a very well designed program but it does the job.
This one has a better design: https://www.kantokaraoke.com/ but it is not free. Demo is available.

The new version SynthFont2 should be out before end of May. If you (or anyone else reading this) would like to try the new Karaoke display I can provide you with a beta version.
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Ok, thanks Kenneth, I'll give karaoke5 a shot... Downloading it now...

And YES, I would love to test the beta... :)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Good. There are a few things I want to finalize before handing it out, but it will not take long.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Here is a link to a file containing ONLY the new executable (64bit).
https://www.dropbox.com/t/LeSSaBo5xEVKWa9N
Press CTRL+T to display the lyrics window.
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Ok, thanks Kenneth. Downloaded it, run it and this is my findings:
1. The lyric still just stand there.
2. Cannot change foreground color or background color.
3. Can change background, but in a limited way, to a list of 8 images...
4. No option for select font or font size...

But I guess this is just a beginning?
I really looking forward to the final product...

I tried the Karaoke5 software. First the trial of the paid version, then the free version... The paid version, as you said was not any good. Confusing UI. Not even a stop icon in the transport panel ! The free version was slimmer and better imo... But it did not show any lyric in the 8 files I saved from SF2.

So my thought at this moment is: I think few people will go trough the hassle having to install a special software in order to be able to play a Mp3 karaoke song.

So, if the output from SF2 cannot output the lyric in the Irc format, with the lrc information taken directly from the .kar or .mid file, then how can a batch convert work properly?

I think batch export as mp4 is the only real thing here. As everybody with a phone or computer can play it right away...But as you said: "Creating MP4 is still a lot further away. I would say that I currently do not have the time and capacity for it. Too many other projects at hand." I wish that was not so... :roll:

Anyway, I hope my thoughts about this will not discourage you to continue improvement of the current karaoke function in SF2

All the best,
Trygve