Add Samples does not work

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
kpr

Add Samples does not work

Post by kpr »

I had the latest version Viena (1.131) and tried to Add Samples, but didn't work at all. I tried several time, didn't help. So I installed the old version I had in my backup folder (version 0.99) and everything works fine.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Add Samples does not work

Post by Admin »

Sorry for the delay - I've been out of office this last week.
I hope you can tell me more. What actually happens?
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

I am currently using Viena 1.131 successfully, with no problems in loading samples. I think you need to make sure that the looped samples were saved in the "originating folder" as SAMPLE.wav and not just as SAMPLE .

There has been one very strange event, however, only last week, and it could have been disastrous for me if I had been working on a large soundfont which had not been backed up. Instead I was working on a single-preset soundfont, before importing it into the large soundfont it is intended for. This is now my standard practice.

The preset involved had two instruments. The main one is quite normal - 30 looped samples, each stretched over two adjacent notes. The other one, which I was working on, has only 4 or 5 very short non-looped samples, which we could call "percussive". (This soundfont is for a Virtual Pipe Organ, and the short samples are used to create "chiffs" i.e. starting transients, on some of the notes.) Suddenly I realised when listening to the preset, that the main instrument was silent. I was hearing only the chiffed notes, as abrupt sounds - which is as they should be. When I checked the samples, I discovered that the 30 looped samples were still listed, but when I examined them, they were ALL "straight lines" - no audio waves to be seen.

Kenneth, is there some button I could have accidentally touched, and it killed all those samples? It appears they had not actually been deleted, as their names were still listed.

John Reimer
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi John,
This sounds [;)] very strange, indeed. You can make one sample silent in a couple of ways, but there is no way to clear the contents of more than one in a batch without you knowing it. I've never seen this happen (of course). So, if you can reproduce it, it would be just great. Anyway, I'll keep this in mind and might even add a warning message of sort. I'll start work on 1.132 soon as there are some bugs reported now that I know I can easily fix.
kpr

Post by kpr »

Admin wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:13 am Sorry for the delay - I've been out of office this last week.
I hope you can tell me more. What actually happens?
No problem.

What happened:

Step 1: New File button pushed, then new file name <new Violin>
Step 2: Add Sample, and the directory opens and I select the folder with the Violin samples inside, then selecting the WAV files, push open.

In earlier Viena versions all samples appear on the left side. But as reported in the last version nothing happens, no sample loaded.

Everything works fine in Version 0.99 I have now installed instead of the latest.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Can you send me one of these WAV files? Email me a kenneth@synthfont.com.
kpr

Post by kpr »

Sure I can, I'll do later today.

But as already reported I did the entire Tracktion Waveform sample content with Viena in 2017, in total that was an amount of 280 multisamples and everything worked great with Viena. I even had no bug reports with bad loops or wrong root keys, everything perfect.

So, now I started another project and did the same as always, but no luck when trying to load the samples from the folder. Typical 16 Bit/44.1 kHz samples, looped, etc.

Perhaps some handling changed with the latest Viena versions?

As told I re-installed the old 0.99 and everything works fine when adding the samples. I'll keep that old version on my computer now, I'm happy with that one.

Oh, just for info, this in my website: www.backintimerecords.de , this is the reference page of my factory voicing https://www.kpr-srd.com/factory-voicing/ and I'm glad to help Viena.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The issue has been solved. The problem occurred on Windows XP only when having the OS set to hide file extensions of know files, that is, hiding the "'.wav" extension. In Viena's new file dialogs for XP this extension was also lost. Fixed.
kpr

Post by kpr »

Thanks so much for the quick support! It's a pleasure using this great software. Loading samples works flawlessly even on my older XP computers now. Excellent job.