How to assign a soundfont to each note?

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
Calimero

How to assign a soundfont to each note?

Post by Calimero »

Hi,

Working to SynthFont v 1.724,i would like to know How to assign a soundfont to each note?

For example:
1) When I type on my keyboard the black and white notes between C4 and C5, it plays a soundfont guitar.
when I tap on my keyboard the black and white notes between A3 and A4, it plays a soundfont piano
etc ...

2) to assign to the note A4 a soundfont guitar
assign to the note B4 a soundfont violin
etc ...

Thank you for your help
Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to assign a soundfont to each note?

Post by Admin »

When using a midi file, there are two ways to achieve this effect:
1) if two (or several) notes are played in sequence (not fully at the same time) you can insert a midi program change event between each note and thereafter assign a new SoundFont/Preset to each of these program changes
2) this second alternative may be a lot simpler and the only one that can be used if notes are played at the same time: make notes play in separate midi channels. There are 16 to choose from, so in this case you can not have more than 16 notes play at the same time.

Both of these options are relative easy to create in a midi file, but I gather you want to have this feature enabled when playing back from an external source. Can you program your keyboard to send certain midi program changes or use certain midi channels for certain notes? Probably not....
Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to assign a soundfont to each note?

Post by Admin »

There is actually a third alternative: You can create a SoundFont in which, for one or several Presets (aka Instruments), each note or range of notes plays a different sound. You an use my SoundFont editor Viena to achieve this, quite easily.