Edited Instruments Splits in Viena, now all samples are broken

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Edited Instruments Splits in Viena, now all samples are broken

Post by Admin »

Important: for this particular logging to work you obviously also need this program running:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmbsw0q85jild ... r.exe?dl=0
So, start CSDispatcher before starting Viena. You can leave CSDispatcher running, as long as you like. There will be a small icon in the taskbar to tell that it is there.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

I am pleased to report that with CSDispatcher installed, a log file is now being created. But I can't see any icon anywhere. So I do wonder whether it is on all the time, or whether I have control over it. (In typical fashion, the internet "reviews' of CSDispatcher are fairly mixed).

John Reimer
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

John,
This is how the icon looks like: Image
The program must run in the background all the time while you use Viena in order for the log file to be created. I am not very happy about this solution and will not use it more extensively. The only advantage is that the messages can contain detailed structural information and the log file ought to be a lot easier to analyze. But I don't know yet how well it actually works as it has never been tested in any real case by me before now.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

I have made a zip file containing three log files. The two dated ones show 0.996F importing some
sample files and then doing a Purge and Save. After the Save, some of the existing samples (not
the new ones) sounded corrupted. However, after the soundfont file was closed and Viena exited,
when I reran 0.996F and loaded the soundfont, there was no evidence of the corrupted sound.

The undated log file relates to the process of copying the newly-altered preset to a soundfont
already made by using 0.996F. The copy process was a failure. However, 0.780 had no problem
copying that preset, and jOrgan had no problem loading the new (combined) soundfont.

Here is the link to the zip file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qc88e9k4w0qxi ... S.zip?dl=0

John Reimer
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Thanks John,
The two dated log files tell me that the wave data has not been corrupted at any time. The way I check this is very simple but reliable: I compute a certain fingerprint value for for each of the wave data items and always when something is done new values are calculated and compared to the original ones. If the fingerprint has changed an error message would be written to the log file. There are none. So, the finding that the playback sounded broken may be due to something completely different.

The copy/paste procedure failing ... hmm... I can see from the log file that the function computing the new fingerprint got stuck in the middle. If you have these two SoundFonts still available and if they are of a "decent" size, maybe you can send them to me?
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

Regarding the Copy Preset function, I shall be doing this again in the near future, so I shall make sure that I preserve the original soundfont, and then what 0.996F does to it after attempting the paste. Presumably this is what you are after. The combined soundfont is about 40 MB in size, so two would be about 80. No problem with Dropbox. It may be preferable if I can send you the link by email.

John
HejmaKato

Post by HejmaKato »

That's a huge issue to me since I spent a few weeks just co collect and merge soundfont. But now, thanks to Viena, It's all broken.
Sometimes I think whether supporting Synthfont Group was worthy or not.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

HejmaKato, I understand your frustration. Believe you me - am am as frustrated as you! Mostly I can reproduce problems people have had and hence fix them easily, but, no, when it comes to the problems John has had, I've never been able to reproduce them. Obviously I have not been able to reproduced John's particular steps.

Viena has never been of very high priority and I am not sure myself for how long I want to continue this endeavor. In the end I must make a decision to discontinue this project once and for all.

One warning about the use of all Viena version up to 0.996F: When importing samples from a file (SoundFont or WAV), the actual audio data is not imported until the SoundFont is saved. Hence there is a risk that if you change the SoundFont or audio file from which you import before a save, the imported audio data may be broken.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Here is a new version for testing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvjunui9my1pc ... G.rar?dl=0
Just fixed a few bugs I have myself found.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

I can report that using the new Viena 0.996G, I have just added some samples to the preset I am currently working on, without anyu issues.

I then copied that preset to the combined soundfont, including a Purge at the end of the process, and although the new soundfont sounded corrupted initially, after closing and re-opening, it sounded good. CSDispatcher did not produce a log file.

John Reimer