Version 0.990 has been released

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
Admin
Site Admin

Version 0.990 has been released

Post by Admin »

Improved feature:
- Viena has now a much improved support for SoundFont Modulators.
- Viena can now monitor a MIDI input port for data and start the synth engine as soon as a meaningful event occurs. You can switch this feature on/off in Setup,
- Small addition: there is a function in the Splits editor to duplicate a split within an instrument - "More functions...", menu item "Copy/Paste split".

Bug fixes:
- Since version 0.97X Viena has had problems with saving a SoundFont more than once.
- A rather large number of bugs fixed. For example, working with several SoundFonts open at the same time there was a risk that the instruments were mixed between SoundFonts in a random manner.
John Reimer

Re: Version 0.990 has been released

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

The link to the Installation download file of Viena 0.990 doesn't seem to be working.

John Reimer
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Version 0.99 was withdrawn. Version 0.991 ought to be available soon,
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

I have begun to use the new Viena 0.992, and it seems to be free of the big problem of corrupting existing sound files when new ones are imported. However, it still does not allow me to delete unwanted splits. For this I have to use version 0.780, which I still have available..

John Reimer
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

Sorry, but the sound file corruption does still seem to be happening when I import new sample files.

John Reimer
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

John
Maybe you need to tell me more?
I can both delete unwanted splits and import new sample files without problems.
However, there is ONE case when a new split may sound really bad: this is if you have set "Sample Mode" to loop in the Global split and the new sample doesn't have loop points. This is a flaw I will fix in the next version.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

Thank you for trying this out. Something like this has happened before, where I am having problems with new versions of Viena and you cannot duplicate them. I can only conclude that with the constant working over (i.e. adding to the soundfonts using existing Instruments as templates for new ones) which my soundfont(s) receive, a level of corruption (or complexity) is creeping in, leading to problems for me. Fortunately the old .078 version is not exhibiting this behaviour, and so I have been able to press on with my work, even if the small font with .078 is a bit of a trial to my ageing eyesight.

I remain constantly grateful to you for making Viena availalble.

John Reimer

P.S. I shall try out the latest version using an "infant" soundfont and report back.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

I made up a small soundfont, and Viena 0.992 now offered me the Delete Split option under Edit. There was no suggestion of corruption of the sample files, but I did not expect any such corruption, given that the soundfont was very small, even with the addition of several new samples. So I draw the same conclusion as I did previously (and had forgotten), that there is something about my 100 MB soundfont which has caused me to have problems when using the new versions. If my memory serves me correctly, the previous similar problems happened with a different soundfont, but it was also about 100 MB, and had a similar history in the way it was created.

John Reimer
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Thanks,
At a suitable moment I will play around with some larger files.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

I have been using Viena 0.992 successfully with another soundfont, of current size 136 MB. I decided to check it by trying to delete a split by firstly double-clicking on the split's top cell in the Instrument display. In the Edit drop-down box, "Delete" was greyed out, as has been happening previously with the former large soundfont. By chance I clicked on the relevant split entry in the Instrument list at the left of the screen. That entry, which identifies the sample being used in the split, changed from a slight colour to a deep blue. And "Delete" in the Edit drop-down box was no longer greyed out.

I suspect that I shall not remember this workaround when and if I next encounter this problem.

I hope that this information is useful.

John Reimer