New test version

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
ray890

Re: New test version

Post by ray890 »

Well, for those file manager bugs you cannot replicate, I've been able to produce both of them on multiple Windows 7 PCs of which I tested:

1. In this first example, I start off opening the file manager with it starting off at the bottom, I pressed W and it was able to locate a W file, but pressing A did nothing. I had to then scroll up so the "A" items would be seen on the screen and went back down, now pressing A brought me to some result items. This bug only started happening with 2.0.2.0L after you updated your delphi compilation environment and coincidentally fixed other file manager bugs
http://s24.postimg.org/pah0x2p3n/file_manager.gif

2. This one, is pretty straight forward. I simply clicked to go to the desktop folder (not the one under "favorites") and double-clicked "Libraries", and I was led to "Computer" instead of the Libraries folder I was supposed to be directed to.
http://s22.postimg.org/6sbsxqw8x/file_manager2.gif
TheTrustedComputer

Post by TheTrustedComputer »

Running SynthFont 2.0.2.1, things look pretty good so far. However, when I add a key signature metadata event by the event editor, the number of sharps are added one at a time respectively. Ex: C = no sharps, C# = 1 sharp (incorrect), D = 2 sharps (correct in major) all the way to B = 11 sharps (incorrect, shown as unknown). There are no flats I can make from the event editor; the major keys of F (1 flat), Bb (2 flats), and Eb (3 flats) are some examples of key signatures with flats.
KaleidonKep99

Post by KaleidonKep99 »

Just found a bug on 2.0.2.1.
If you reload a MIDI, while you're playing it, SynthFont will hang.

Video: http://youtu.be/J7OhFOOxw2U
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I have today released version 2.0.2.2.

@TheTrustedComputer. The Key Signature contains two bytes. The first is the number of sharps or flats. A positive value in the range 0..7 indicates sharps, while a negative value indicates flats.

@ray890: selecting files using the keyboard letters seems to work almost 100% if you do it slowly. I don't know why. I will investigate more when I am back from my vacation. (About the Libraries issue - I didn't get it, you double-clicked in the files list, I clicked in the tree list. Stupid of me!)

@AndrewU: Thanks for the file! It helped me solve the issue (I believe, only you can confirm) and actually helped me solve another problem with "MIDI files with unfortunate combinations of Time Signature and Tempo changes" as mentioned below.

@KaleidonKep99: Good you spotted this. This function - and many others - were never intended to be available during playback. I have disabled most of them now, but there may still be some others that may cause havoc if used during playback.

As per Wednesday next week I will be away for a week - really! I will possibly have an opportunity to do some development work on Friday July 31st if things look really bad. Then I will be out of office again for the better of two weeks

Below is the official list of bug fixes and new features:
- Version 2.0.2.1 introduced a serious bug that might prevent the program from starting
- The virtual keyboard kept playing in the background after closing the open SoundFont file dialogue
- Moving the region in the mini Pianoroll window by dragging it did not work as expected
- Normalize channel files now works
- The use of "cut not short" for handling of overlapping notes could cause random noise in notes cut short
- In "Midi events" page: changing Pan value (range 0..127) now updates value in range -64-+64 as well
- In "Midi events" page: the list did not show the correct key for the META event Key Signature in case of a Minor scale (Note: SynthFont2 does NOT try to determine the key based on the notes in the tune, but only displays the values set in the META event)
- Changing the MIDI channel for a track in either the "Midi events" page or in the "Plug & Play" tracks list would not always cause the Events list data to be updated
- In "Files / Folders", the files list at the bottom: double-clicking on the "Libraries" item (under Desktop) would cause a jump to My Computer instead (clicking on Libraries in the tree list to the left did work, though)
- In "Files / Folders", play preview did not work when clicking on a file in the files list
- In "Files / Folders", pressing Enter key or double-clicking on a file in the files list might cause the registered application to open for the file. This is no longer allowed.
- All three items above are also valid for the file save and open dialogues. Additionally in the dialogue file list, selecting a folder would display the folder name in the "File name" edit box
- MIDI files stored on a network location – and some other MIDI files – might cause the message "The MIDI file cannot be found!"
- Creating a new MIDI track by copying events from another track would erroneously assign the same MIDI channel to the new track
- Some functions that were supposed to be disabled while playing were still enabled. Using them could cause the program to freeze or crash
- Some MIDI files with unfortunate combinations of Time Signature and Tempo changes were not correctly analysed for absolute time of events. This had no impact on the playback speed or sound but the playback range might be inaccurate.
- SFZ files have not been correctly imported since version 2.0.2.0. Neither has the note velocity value been used for tracks with SFZ files
- Some issues related to handling of VST plugins fixed

New features
- Voice "Cutter" checkbox next to the Voices limit list. Cutter cuts note-off events for which the decay level has fallen below a certain threshold which level depends on the voice count. This is the default behaviour in SynthFont1 and SynthFont2 up to version 2.0.2.0. Use to keep the voice count down.

- In Pianoroll, the vertical zoom list has been augmented with items for 4 and 5 pixels
KaleidonKep99

Post by KaleidonKep99 »

The new version (2.0.2.2) seems to recognize some velocity layers in my KSP, but they're still not perfect as with SF2s...
(I don't get why is it starting recognizing them, if you didn't fixed the problem yet)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I tested it also with some sfz files and think it works now as it should. If you come upon an sfz file that doesn't work, then maybe you can relay it to me. (If you read the list of bug fixes you see that this fix is mentioned there.)
AndrewU

Post by AndrewU »

Admin wrote: @AndrewU: Thanks for the file! It helped me solve the issue (I believe, only you can confirm) and actually helped me solve another problem with "MIDI files with unfortunate combinations of Time Signature and Tempo changes" as mentioned below.
Well...it doesn't appear to have changed anything on my end, at least with the Play VSTi. I have discovered a workaround, and it's something that might help you, I don't know? but when I set the stop marker a hair away from the very end of the piece - that is, I'm not playing the song all the way to the end of the file - the notes don't hang like that.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

But SFZ seems be OK, at least?
AndrewU

Post by AndrewU »

Admin wrote:But SFZ seems be OK, at least?
I just tried it, yes it does. I'm just curious how come sfz works now but the other doesn't. Before 2012Q, both worked great. I don't have any other VSTi's to test it with to see if any others mess up like that, but is there anything else I might be able to provide to help you figure it out?
KaleidonKep99

Post by KaleidonKep99 »

Admin wrote:But SFZ seems be OK, at least?
Yes, SFZs are ok now!
The problem happens when you use soundfonts with velocity layers separated in different groups. (Not a really good idea, as you said to me on Facebook)

Using your fix (fil_veltrack), everything's working fine!