Bank not (Re)Set; Persistent Volume Setting Between Files

notsevendy

Bank not (Re)Set; Persistent Volume Setting Between Files

Post by notsevendy »

I'm having a problem where the bank on channel one is not being set properly for some files. On some files, the bank is always defaults to "0"; on others, the bank is correctly set when a data file is first played, but is reset to "0" if the file is stopped and replayed from the beginning. Hitting the "Reset" button does not help. This is not a new problem--I'm seeing it on 3.501 and 3.000. Reloading the arraignment file will fix the problem, but only temporarily. I have tried two different sequencers with identical results. Two of your competitors--"sfz" and "XmPlay"--do not have this problem with the particular data files I'm running.

I'm also hearing some sort of persistent volume settings between files--for instance, a particularly quiet file will cause a subsequent file to play quietly unless the synth is manually reset. (I do not have a MIDI editor installed, so I cannot examine the various parameters.) Once again, the problem appears to be peculiar to all versions of VSTSynthFont.

EDIT: What I did after posting this was to install Synthfont so that I could examine the MIDI commands listing. It's clear that some of the problem is the ancient MIDI file itself, which plays fast and loose with Bank commands CC 0 and CC 32. It appears the first problem I outlined has a file that uses CC 0 to define the Font, but has a superfluous CC 32 also defined for two of the three tracks--when these are removed, the replay difficulty is resolved. Oddly, Synthfont itself does not have this replay problem.

As far as the playback volume persistence is concerned: this may be "expression" settings not being reset for new files--the "quiet" file is full of expression commands; the subsequent files have none.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bank not (Re)Set; Persistent Volume Setting Between Files

Post by Admin »

Thanks!
I will keep this in mind when planning the next version - which needs to happen soon as there are some disturbing bugs in the current version.