Recording from an instrument

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
tardi.andras

Recording from an instrument

Post by tardi.andras »

Hi,
I am newbie to SynthFont and the midi in general.
My question is that how can I record notes from a digital instrument through midi in Syntfont2?

My instrument is a Yamaha P120 digital piano which is connected to the computer through a midi-usb cable (Yamaha UX-16).

My problem is that when I start the SynthFont2, and set up the Yamaha UX-16 device as midi input, and click on the "Turn the midi input on" knob, and start playing, I can heard the voices from the computer, and the VU meter also shows the signal, but the program does not record any notes, I mean I do not see any notes on pianoroll.

Do I need to install an other component to record the playing, or what would be the problem?

Thanks in advance..

Andras
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recording from an instrument

Post by Admin »

Hello Andras and welcome to the group!
Thanks for asking this question. The regular, free version of SynthFont cannot do this, but SynthFont2 can - except from the fact that the current version of SynthFont2 is equipped with a bug that makes this function broken. I will soon issue a new version in which it will be fixed. But here's how to do it:
1) Create a new midi file, at least one track, but you can create 16 tracks for the 16 midi channels just to be sure.
2) Go to Other Options and press the Record MIDI button:
record-midi-input.png
record-midi-input.png (39.87 KiB) Viewed 847 times
3) Play the notes on your keyboard
4) Turn off input mode. A dialog box will be displayed with some options. Here you can decide for example for which MIDI channels you want to save the data and where to but it in the file.
5) Finally save the MIDI file.

As I said, this function is currently broken but will be fixed for the next release.
tardi.andras

Re: Recording from an instrument

Post by tardi.andras »

OK, thank you for your answer.
I am looking forward the new release.

Sincerely,,

András