Any Batch edit of midifile possible?

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
Trygve Larsen

Any Batch edit of midifile possible?

Post by Trygve Larsen »

I want to batch edit a few thousand midifiles, by reduce sustainpedal from 100 down to about 30... Is that possible in Synthfont2 ? If not, I think it would be a great feature to implement... 8-)
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any Batch edit of midifile possible?

Post by Admin »

Not possible, but I understand that this could be a useful feature. Many years ago I experimented with a functionality that would have made this possible: a scripting language, like the good old Basic. Maybe I need to dig that out from the history records...
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

THAT would be great Kenneth... :D
From what I can see around in different forums, it is wanted and looked for...
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I've started to work on it. I got out the old files from 2014 (not so long ago as I at first remembered) and realized I had developed it a lot further than I at first thought. The script language isn't Basic but Pascal. Pascal as as easy to learn as Basic. And scripts will never need to be very complicated anyway.

I'll be back.
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Wow ! Great ! The reason I asked for it, is that there is this thousands of great piano midifiles out there, as I posted in the file sharing forum. And those midifiles, it turns out it can also easily be used with another instrument, like organ, accordion, brass, for instance.. BUT, it does not sound good with sustain pedal...

I made some great Brass Ensemble variations of some of them, using Band in a box and the Brass Ensemble in Kontakt.. All I had to do was to turn down the sustain pedal to about 30, then render it directly without further editing, and it sounded great ! As a natural Brass Ensemble will do. It does not work good for all, but with some, it really sounds perfect, at least in my ears... (IF there is some brass Ensemble lovers reading this, and curious to how it sounded, I could upload a few example to my dropbox for a listen and some feedback how it sounded in others ears... :geek: ) So, if I can batch remove/reduce the sustain pedal in a bunch of those midifiles, then I can use a Brass soundfont, and batch convert all in one go in VLC.. Saving tonns of works... :D

Next omn my wish-list is a way to convert the NKI files in Kontakt to SF2.. THEN, heaven is waiting just around the corner...;) It was possible before, as from what I read.. But not anymore in Kontakt 5.... If it could be done in Viena, I guess you would be the hero for thousands of musicians out there...;)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Trygve, you can of course use VLC to do the batch conversion if you like, but I must point out that this feature has been available in both versions of SynthFont for a long time. On this page, http://www.synthfont.com/Tutorial3.html, you find a very short introduction to the "Playlist and Explorer" page of the free version of SynthFont (aka SynthFont1). It may not become clear from this page how to actually work with it, so I will here add a few words.

Top left you choose What to Play and the Playing order. In this example all the files in the selected Explorer folder, first to last. Further to the right you find a group box called "Play now" with two buttons: "To Speakers" and "To Files". Press "To Files" to show a dialog box with more selections like the audio format you want (compression method, for example MP3). See image https://www.dropbox.com/s/sam5kt4i0eall ... s.png?dl=0
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Oh, sorry Kenneth, I was unaware of that.. Good u informed me (and others)
Is there also a way to render it out in 432Hz ? I have totally felt in love with that frequency and use it for ALL my music for years... And VLC is the only player I know of that can do playback and render in 432Hz, by changing a value in the .ini file..
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

432 Hz? Doesn't sound right... Do you mean 432 kHz? Or more likely 43.2 KHz. The normal sampling frequency is 44.1 kHz.

Or do you refer to the frequency of standard A which is normally 440Hz? You can indeed set it to whatever you want.
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

It can ? Really ? Wow, that's great.. Yeah, I ment the tuning of A, from 440 Hz to 432Hz... It gaining more and more popularity, because, when we hear it over time, we can FEEL the difference.. The difference cannot be HEARD, but ONLY felt... It must be experienced... That's why discussion about it is useless...;)

But HOW do we do this in Synthfont2 ? I looked around in the Setup and Option window, but could not see any option for it there...

It would be mega great if I could use Synthfont2, because, then I can also use all my great Kontakt instrument I have a lot of... :D
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

But ok, inspired by ur post about this function in Synthfont2, I gave it a try, and it worked great ! But then I wanted to do the same with one of my great piano in Kontakt. So I opened the VSTi window and clicked on Kontakt, and I just could not get Kontakt to be visible anywhere ! I think I looked and looked around for 30 min. without luck...;) So THAT option (The selected VSTi UI) u have hide very well in this excellent program...;)