Edited Instruments Splits in Viena, now all samples are broken

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Edited Instruments Splits in Viena, now all samples are broken

Post by Admin »

Thanks John,
I am right now compiling a version that creates a log file which you could send to me in case of need. I'll try and get it ready with the next few days.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

John,
Here is the next test version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/44v54ohxzr2ra ... D.rar?dl=0

Version D always creates a log file, called "VienaLog.csl", in the folder <My documents>\SynthFont.
In case of scrambled audio data, or any other problem, close Viena and locate the file and send it to me. Note that the log file is erased when you start Viena, so you need to send the file before that.

This version handles new samples in a rather different way from before. I have identified a few potential pitfalls in earlier versions which I try to clear up now. This version keeps the new sample audio data in memory, thus, if you add hundreds of new samples and have limited free RAM, you MAY run into problems! But for testing purposes I think this is a good choice. For the final release version I may choose another route again, but I will probably not go back to the original structure as it was risky.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Thanks, Kenneth.
I shall start using it.

John
mike

Post by mike »

I'll try to record some video footage during my next Viena usage. That might be helpful to backtrace later.
used to be "likeaguest"
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

In adding 8 samples today to a small soundfont (one preset of two instruments) 0.996D did not scramble the samples. However, it did seem to do that when performing a Purge (but only after saving the Purge). Unfortunately it did not create a log file. I am using Windows 7.

John Reimer
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Are you absolutely sure it did not create a log file? Please have a look again. And remember that the log file is deleted on Viena start-up. I will make a new version that makes it easier to locate and send the file. Without it there's not much I can do as I need to be able to reproduce the issue.
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,

To make sure, I have just added two more samples using 0.996D and done a Purge and then a Save. I then closed Viena. This time everything behaved itself. But again, no log file appeared in the SynthFont folders found either in "My Documents" or in "Documents".

John Reimer
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

John,
My mistake! The log file is not created if the folder does not exist. A typical mistake to make. This version fixes THAT one at least:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lnr9w9thw9y7 ... E.rar?dl=0

The log file should now be found in the the folder <documents>\Viena (not SynthFont this time).
I have added some more test and more output into the log file. Hopefully you manage to make it misbehave at least once. (I have not added a function to make it easy to send the file, so I I have to ask you to do it "manually").
John Reimer

Post by John Reimer »

Kenneth,
Sorry, but version E is also not creating a log file. I did a "Windows" Search for VienaLog, with no result. I am carefully following your instructions.

Today I noticed a new problem being introduced by 0.996E. Although it allows me to hear the sounds in the Preset view, for some reason jOrgan will not load the soundfont. So Viena itself is not suggesting there is a problem, but jOrgan finds something not to its liking.

Here is a link to the soundfont in question. I might add that to me this is a new behaviour, but 0.996E has done this more than once to me today:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oz4ulujbmlxyt ... K.sf2?dl=0

John
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

John,
I'm not surprised that jOrgan doesn't like the file. I did add some extra "debug" information of my own to the structure for testing the issue under discussion right now, but I should have been more careful. This version takes care of that, I think:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9c21e48f17ka ... F.rar?dl=0

Additionally, there is a new button on the "File info" page. It reads "Check VienaLog". Press it to have Viena check if the log file is there or not.

This feature makes use of a commercial tool so I am really surprised if it doesn't work! I would like to be able to use it in the future, not only for debugging Viena but all in my other apps as well.