Edited Instruments Splits in Viena, now all samples are broken

All about the SoundFont editor Viena
John Reimer
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Edited Instruments Splits in Viena, now all samples are broken

Postby John Reimer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:10 am

Kenneth,

Just finished the present unit of work by adding the final six samples to the preset, and using Viena 0.996G successfully. Then copied the preset to the combined soundfont.

Correction on the last report: The "false" indication of corrupted samples actually occurs after purging and saving the PRESET. Then after closing the preset and re-opening it, the sound is good. No purging was involved after copying the preset to the combined soundfont file.

Thanks for all your work.

John Reimer

John Reimer
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Edited Instruments Splits in Viena, now all samples are broken

Postby John Reimer » Wed May 24, 2017 2:34 am

Kenneth,

I am very sorry to report that virtually having reached the end of making my current fairly large (for me) soundfont - about 120 MB, on the final Purge and then Save, corruption of the samples seemed to occur. Fortunately I was careful with backups, so no harm was done. I then used Viena 0.780 to do the Purge and Save safely. I was able to repeat this attempt at Purge and Save using 0.966G on a file I had preserved for this purpose, starting CSDispatch firstly, but as far as I can see, no log file was created. I suspect that the ability to create this log file was in 0.966F but not in 0.966G.

Best wishes,
John

John Reimer
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Edited Instruments Splits in Viena, now all samples are broken

Postby John Reimer » Wed May 24, 2017 2:54 am

Kenneth,

I now find that my previous post needs substantial qualification. Having exited Viena 0.996G, I then had reason to re-open it, and it presented me with the "corrupted" version of the soundfont as reported in my post. However, I now found that it was in fact NOT corrupted. So one needs to close the soundfont file and re-open it, before drawing any conclusions about a problem. While not an ideal situation, it is far better than losing all that important work. (I seem to recall this odd behaviour was present in past attempts). Of course, best practice would ensure that routine backups were being made anyway, in order to minimise the risk of disasters.

As always, I am very grateful for the existence of your Viena program. It has allowed me to create virtual pipe organs with a quality of sound which at last I am truly pleased with.

Best wishes,
John


Return to “Viena”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest