New test version

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
Admin
Site Admin

Re: New test version

Post by Admin »

This should be the final test version before release:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173 ... 020-RC.rar

The stall issue may be there - or not. I tested it on my pretty old Windows XP (one CPU core) and could barely identify a sub-second stall when cuing back on that "RED ZONE_Portamento" tune, using Piano From Above. None of the other tunes I tested exhibited that "much" delay. There seems to be a flaw in Piano From Above in that when you cue backwards it sends multiple All Notes Off and Program Change events for every channel. One should be enough. The function that seems to take a lot of time on ray890's PCs is the one that runs through the list of known SoundFonts for a suitable Bank:Preset pair. I know I can speed it up, but as this problem is not right now of critical nature (may not even be there in most cases, for most users) I will leave until later.

This (last) test version has actually one new feature:
The playback progress indicator is now replaced by a "trackbar". You can define the playback start position by pulling the trackbar's thumb.
If you have the playback range set to Markers, a new marker will be created when you release the thumb. If set to Bar/Beat then those values will be updated. You can of course pull the thumb back and forth as you like while playing also.
ray890

Post by ray890 »

This Release Candidate version has introduced one simple but obvious bug: Dragging the trackbar slider takes the role of changing start marker and the actual start marker follows it when enabled

I've tested that stalling bug with 3 different machines (a high-end windows 7 desktop and laptop, and an old low-end laptop booted to windows 7 and 8), and in all of them the same behavior happens, all only with 2.0.1.2P and newer, but I guess I wouldn't say this would be the absolute highest priority either

Lastly, here's a report I've compiled for you using part of my raw personal notes from my testing experience under the assumption that it'll be useful for you: http://pastebin.com/geSpYsnG
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Thanks ray890!
That "obvious" bug is not really a bug but a feature! This was the intention. I guess I only need to document it better so that people understand that it has that function. If people start to complain about it I can change it, make it into an option or something.

Excellent summary!

Today I will release version 2.0.2.0 and then I will head off for my summer vacation. I will not be totally out of office, but I will not spend a lot of time developing software (ANY software) for the most of the next six weeks.
ray890

Post by ray890 »

Ah alright, its just that I personally thought it was a bug cause it doesn't seem to make logical sense to me. I don't understand the proposal still, I was able to drag the green marker back and forth during playback and it changed songs position as well as changing the start time, now I can do the exact same thing with a white slider control.

When I saw that white thumb, I literally expected that white slider to become an intuitive during-playback seek/cue slider, while the green and red remain to be the start and end markers.

If this is still not seen as a problem to you, then I can adapt to it. If that's the case, it at least doesn't seem normal to have that green thumb in existence, especially when the green starts to suddenly follow the white slider after the green has been clicked on until another midi is loaded.

I'll look forward to seeing the final release
Last edited by ray890 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I will still think about it. I have a few hours left of this day, Friday, until I have to finalize it for this version. Maybe you are right, maybe not.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Ohh... Yes, the green arrow should NOT follow the thumb during playback. THAT is a flaw. And the thumb should return to the actual start position AFTER playback. THAT is another flaw.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Here is now the official version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173 ... nt2020.rar

If you have any of the test versions of 2.0.2.0 you will not be informed about the existence of a new version. Either you simply grab the executable from above or go to the web site to read the full list of new features and download it from there.

Thanks for all the help I've got preparing this MAJOR update!

Now ... maybe I'll have a quick look at the good old SynthFont1 before I leave.

Have a nice weekend!
Elven Spellmaker

Post by Elven Spellmaker »

Just a quick thing about the release notes on the site: "may take a very long time due to the share number of notes (and voices) "

share should be sheer. =)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Thanks!
In correction...
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There was a serious bug in 2.0.2.0 that I had to correct!
Here is 2.0.2.1:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173 ... nt2021.rar