Polyphony number of voices of synthfont2?

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
JT64

Polyphony number of voices of synthfont2?

Post by JT64 »

Is there meaningfull talking about polyphony and number of voices for synthfont or is it all downmixed in software and CPU dependent?
I guess all soundcards has at least two hardware channels? And AUDIO over HDMI have at least 8 channels?

When software like webaudio "browsers" is limited to 32 voices, does that also mean that polyphony is limited to 32 "because it is already virtual software channels"?

How many notes "individual samples" can i bang simultaneously until synthfonth 2 tapout, is it CPU dependent?
Just did testdrive synthfont2 seem rocksolid, but i would made a sequenser with it ;), recording is much easier to implement then editing and playup at least in webaudio.

What did it actually mean that old chips "soundcards" that AwE32 and Gravis ultrasound was said to have 32 note polyphony, 32 hardware channels?
KaleidonKep99

Re: Polyphony number of voices of synthfont2?

Post by KaleidonKep99 »

JT64 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:06 pm Is there meaningfull talking about polyphony and number of voices for synthfont or is it all downmixed in software and CPU dependent?
I guess all soundcards has at least two hardware channels? And AUDIO over HDMI have at least 8 channels?

When software like webaudio "browsers" is limited to 32 voices, does that also mean that polyphony is limited to 32 "because it is already virtual software channels"?

How many notes "individual samples" can i bang simultaneously until synthfonth 2 tapout, is it CPU dependent?
Just did testdrive synthfont2 seem rocksolid, but i would made a sequenser with it ;), recording is much easier to implement then editing and playup at least in webaudio.

What did it actually mean that old chips "soundcards" that AwE32 and Gravis ultrasound was said to have 32 note polyphony, 32 hardware channels?
SynthFont2 is all software rendered, so there's no voice limit.
Goehring

Post by Goehring »

Are there actual examples of people using ridiculous numbers of voices in synthfont2?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are some people that are (were/used to be) quite interested in so called "black midi files". These are files with millions of notes, sometimes tens of thousands playing simultaneously. You cannot listen to these in real time playback mode without cutting the polyphony number, but given time, you can at least create an audio file with all notes playing. This is silly, but... Who am I to judge?