SyFonOne further development.

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
JT64

SyFonOne further development.

Post by JT64 »

Any chance for you to make the SyFonOne to a more general sample format playback, i've noticed that FMJ software "awave studio" seem to have a more or less generic sampleformat converter that seem to read in almost any sampler format. Have not checked out how good the sampleformat conversion is yet.

But i guess they are not interested in colloborating making a generic sample player it would make their product unnecessary?
Which sampleplayer do support most formats, and to best quality, with accurate looppoints and necessary filters.

Will SyFonOne support other formats in future, because that would make me buy it "i see it is freeware right now?", but a standalone sampleplayer that take a wide range of formats and maybe a VSTI with it would be a nice future of SyFonOne.

Now it may be that SF2 simply a to limited format to hold other sample formats, lacking filters and so on.

JT
Admin
Site Admin

Re: SyFonOne further development.

Post by Admin »

Once upon a time GIGA files (extension ".GIG") used to be the chief of police. Mainly because there was a belief that SoundFonts could not handle stereo samples neither very large samples. Neither is true. A SoundFont can be up to 4 GB in size, which should be enough in most cases. Additionally the GIGA file format allowed for a VERY complicated structure of layers. Layer upon layer - upon layer. And here was the downfall of the GigaSampler, I guess. It simply became too complicated to use. SyFonOne does not support GIGA files, while for example SynthFont[1|2] does.

Today it looks like the format of choice is ".nki" files. This is a proprietary file structure developed and maintained by National Instruments. It is not an open format and right now I have no intention of supporting it. Partly because there are very few free NKI libraries out there.

Then we have the "Downloadabel Sounds" or ".dls" format. Hype, hype, but didn't take off. It is in no way any better than a SoundFont. SynthFont (and Viena) can read these files.

Aah, the good old "Awave Studio"... Almost forgot about that one. Haven't looked at it for a long time.

Well... of course any of my software can be made to support any file format, provided that it is well enough documented and - worth it. Right now it looks like the major file formats out there are SoundFonts and NKI files. Correct me if I'm wrong. I might be. Has happened before ... in September 1996 I think.

SyFoOne will definitely support *VST instruments* in the next release, And it will remain free.
JT64

Post by JT64 »

Well i could possibly asked about it before, wow 1996 you must have some memory.
Although i understand that sample libraries are proprietary, i also feel it is such a shame that old libraries for old hardware just fade into obliviion. Sample libraries for the early samplers akai, yamaha, roland, ensoniq were very thought thru maybe because the limitied resources at hand.

I somehow miss them even the old good romplers from Roland, it is a shame that roland do not sell a program with a USB cardreader, and start to resell their old rompler "card libraries" for say 30 euro and 70 for the card reader with a software rompler player. I suspect it would be a hit, but maybe they would simply be to good and start compete with their more modern product lines.

I am into starting building a simple waveplayer with looping in webaudio, once it can tune notes "a little Nyquist theorem to refresh, and then a little statistics to do timestretch" on samples to avoid the donald duck effect and get samples for each note of same length. I may try make a webaudio sampler.

At start this will all be without any filtering at all just loop points.
Could there ever be a "VSTI host" for webaudio or isn't the necessary hardware features available from inside browser?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Could there ever be a "VSTI host" for webaudio or isn't the necessary hardware features available from inside browser?
Very good question. I do not know the features of webaudio well enough to say, but my intuitive guess is that it would be extremely difficult to include support for VST within a web browser. Maybe not impossible, but I think only someone who has worked a lot with browsers and related technology could say. Basically, the OS doesn't really allow software that can be potentially dangerous - like a browser - to interact too much with the file system.