Any Batch edit of midifile possible?

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
Trygve Larsen

Re: Any Batch edit of midifile possible?

Post by Trygve Larsen »

That's AWESOME Kenneth.. I hope that will be included in future upgrade...;)
Trygve Larsen

Post by Trygve Larsen »

Or why not be the first in the world making a soundfont/VSTi combination program that every software that can read and use soundfonts only, suddenly also can use VSTi ? It could very fast be a new standard, a hybrid of the best from two worlds...;) You think it is possible??
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

...soundfont/VSTi combination program...
Doesn't sound doable as a SoundFont is just a "dumb" document while a VST is an executable piece of code. The other way around is of course possible - a VST instrument that reads SoundFonts. There are many of these, for example my own VSTSynthFont. There are of course programs/players out there that can't handle either SoundFonts nor VST instruments. For these the only choice is a midi port emulator/player, as all of them [mostly] lets you select a midi port to send midi data to. There are a few midi port emulators out there, for example my own SyFonOne. HOWEVER, and here is something that can be done: SyFonOne handles SoundFonts and VST effects - but not VST Instruments. Maybe it is time for me to add this small feature to it.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Here is a test version, "F", of SynthFont2, 32 bit only:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8uxcp7t08j8a ... F.rar?dl=0
The archive contains only the executable called SynthFont2220F.exe. My suggestion is to extract it and move it to SynthFont2's home folder to make sure all library files are present.

The main new feature here is a much improved support for VST instruments as SoundFont overrides. You can now have as many as you like of one particular instrument or mix them in all possible ways. Also, the settings (e.g. program) for each instance of each instrument is saved separately in files to make sure they are always present.

HOWEVER - and this is important - as a VST override never knows which midi channel it will be used on you have to make sure the VST is set to omni mode. For many VST instruments this is the default, but not for all. For example, for Kontakt, you have to go and verify the channel mode. See this image:
Kontakt_mode_omni.png
Kontakt_mode_omni.png (13.22 KiB) Viewed 12999 times
I will run more tests myself during the next couple of days. My plan is to release this version next week.