PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND SOUNDFONTS

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
radioboy86

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND SOUNDFONTS

Post by radioboy86 »

I am confused on what SynthFont does VS Creative's SounfFont Bank Manager?

I keep hearing that hardware based sound cards with PCI/PCIEX formats are better for soundfonts? They say the RAM on the sound card is faster and better than the system RAM in PCs? Is this still the case? Doesn't the size of the hardware based RAM on sound cards have size limits for larger soundfonts?

I am so confused... Is a software synth like SynthFont better than the Hardware RAM based Creative SFBM program? I also see that some USB sound cards from Creative have a software based Sounfont support for the SFBM that the hardware cards use? So what does all of this mean?

I see soundfonts that sound incredible and they are 500MB-1GB in size sometimes. So are the hardware RAM based soundfont supported SFBM cards at a limitation now?

You are much more knowledgeable than me, I just was hoping you could help me... I want the best soundfonts I can get and the OMEGA GMGS2.sf2 is so good yet so big. So would the older hardware type of sound card RAM be limited and not as good as a modern system with faster dual channel/etc memory?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND SOUNDFONTS

Post by Admin »

I have continued this as a personal discussion.