SynthFont2 cannot load Faust VST effect

All about the development and use of SynthFont2
mike

SynthFont2 cannot load Faust VST effect

Post by mike »

Hi Kenneth,

so I found out about "Faust" today, a functional programming language for writing DSPs.
There is also an online compiler to test out your own DSP effects and it even lets you create your own VST with a few clicks (at least that's what it claims):
http://faust.grame.fr/onlinecompiler

I just wanted to try this very basic Faust program:

Code: Select all

import("stdfaust.lib");

process = _ * 2.0;
It's supposed to just boost the aplitude by a factor of two.

The problem is that SynthFont2 will refuse to load the resulting .dll file with "Invalid VST file".
Since I don't really know anything about the VST API I don't know if the generated C++ is actually right (you can check the generated code online) so I'm not entirely sure what's going wrong.
Would you mind getting a look on this?

Best Regards,
Mike
used to be "likeaguest"
mike

Re: SynthFont2 cannot load Faust VST effect

Post by mike »

Oh, big "NEVERMIND".

I just found out that the required libwinpthread-1.dll from the mingw compiler was not in the correct search path for libraries. Moving it from the VST directory to SysWOW64 fixed it (although VST Host didn't have that problem)

Edit:
None the less it would be quite nice to have some kind of error indication why the VST could not be loaded.
used to be "likeaguest"
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Well, well... I gave it a try but SynthFont2 would still not accept the Faust generated DLL on my computer. I got the error message "Invalid access to memory location" from Windows when loading the DLL (using the standard Windows LoadLibrary function). REPAER though managed to load the file, so right no I'm without a clue.
mike

Post by mike »

Oh yeah, I've come accross this as well and I just decided to build the VST effect myself which fixed it entirely for me.

If you have MSYS2 or Cygwin installed, you can use this Makefile to build it yourself:
https://github.com/ipatix/faust-vst-makefile
used to be "likeaguest"