SyFonOne: latest version skipping notes

Feel free to post here any thoughts, ideas, complaints, you-name-it not pertinent to any other forum listed below.
Serafie

SyFonOne: latest version skipping notes

Post by Serafie »

Hello,

I have been using SyFonOne to play with my USB MIDI keyboard using SoundFonts. The previous versions were working flawlessly. Unfortunately, after the update to the latest version (1.080), SyFonOne fails to register every 5th-10th note (key) that I play, especially if I play quickly, or if I play tunes that have several notes playing at the same time. I've tried changing audio output between Windows default (I'm on Windows 10), ASIO and WASAPI. So far, nothing really helps with the occasional key presses not registering. What helped the best was setting ASIO's buffer size to the max, which reduced the notes missing a bit, but not completely, but unfortunately, a high buffer size of 2048 also introduced latency. Has something been changed about the buffer sizes or the number of samples SyFonOne can take at once? I have been using SyFonOne for several years, and the previous versions were playing all the notes perfectly even with Windows' default audio output. I tried the USB Midi keyboard with Viena, and it's not missing key presses there, but naturally, Viena is not as handy for playing a MIDI keyboard since it's a SoundFont editor, not a real-time midi input player.

I tried to load a smaller SoundFont, such as the 7 MB one that I think came with SyFonOne, and the problem still occurs, even with the default piano bank. This makes it seem like the SoundFont size isn't the problem.

Until the problem is fixed, is it possible to roll back to an earlier version of SyFonOne, such as version 1.072?

Thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: SyFonOne: latest version skipping notes

Post by Admin »

What a pity! I have not had time to look into SyFonOne again until today, and I must say that I cannot immediately see what has happened. The changes made between 1.072 and 1.080 are not that many and dramatic, but obviously something critical has changed. Probably due to the introduction of support for WASAPI. I will during next week have time to do some tests. In the mean time, here is version 1.072:
http://www.synthfont.com/SyFonOneSetup1072.exe
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I have found the bug. A very silly one, looping of the synth threads (usually four) left out the last one when adding it all together. So it had nothing to do with notes arriving fast or so. A new version will be out next week. Thanks, Serafie, for pointing this out to me!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

A new version, 1.081, has been uploaded:
http://www.synthfont.com/SyFonOneSetup.exe
Serafie

Post by Serafie »

Apologies for the late reply! I tried the latest version, and everything works like a charm now, no midi sounds are dropped out. Thank you so much for pinpointing and fixing the bug!